Cole Harbour District High School
Cole Harbour District High School is a Grade 10-12 school with 44 classrooms over three floors. The building, founded in 1979, contained a large combined library and Resource Centre, full service gymnasium and cafeteria prior to upgrades.
The project was split into two phases: Phase 1 included adding a new 15,000 sq.ft. gymnasium, new trades classrooms, and a new entrance, along with interior modifications of classrooms and office areas; and Phase 2, completed the following year, included interior changes of the existing gymnasium to a cafetorium, adding additional stage area, addition of a music room, laboratory renovations, new nutrition and textiles area, new Learning Centre area, new media room, and supporting spaces.
MCA Consultants was hired as the mechanical consultant for the multi-phased building upgrade design and construction.
- Building Automation
- HVAC (specialty and conventional)
- Fire Protection
Key Design Elements
- High efficient natural gas Boiler plant with integrated Controls, along with in-floor and low temperature radiation, utilizing new variable speed pumping technologies
- Ventilation air handlers with heat recovery wheels and variable speed fans with low temperature heating coils
- Infloor radiant heating system for extreme comfort to residents
- Variable Air Volume system with point of use heating coils to guarantee proper air supply to office and auxiliary spaces within facility
- Infrared sensing Plumbing fixtures
- Specialty HVAC systems including fabric ducts, air filtrations systems to provide clean return air from wood trades area, and capture exhaust systems for welding and grinding trades areas
- Building Automation (DDC) Controls systems with sensors for occupancy and CO2 levels
- Sprinkler systems