Irving Ship Building Yard
Strum Engineering Associates Ltd.
About This Project
Irving Ship Building Yard provides a complete range of services for new ship building, as well as ship repairs. This 31,500 sq.ft. facility is home to the biggest floating docks and the largest machine shop in Eastern Canada and covers 193,000 sq.ft. of water frontage, with over 1,500 ft of service piers.
In 2013, the Irving Ship Building Yard was in transition to modify the construction yard. There was a need to consolidate functions located in many older buildings on the property into the soon to be renovated Ship Repair Facility Building. These functions included welding, wood joiner shops, pipe shop, milling, large lathes, drilling, along with support areas such as tool crib, offices, storage, and utilities.
MCA Consultants was hired as the mechanical consultant for a multi-phased design of the facility including a pipe shop, welding shop, underground mechanical, a substation, a joiner/wood working shop, as well as office spaces.
- Plumbing (conventional)
- Piping (specialty)
- Radiant Heaters
- HVAC (specialty and conventional)
- Fire Protection
- Dust Collection System c/w Spark Detection Safety Controls
Key Design Elements
- Specialty HVAC including fume exhaust with extraction arms, welding exhaust, dust collection with spark detection
- Conventional HVAC with quick connect ductwork and comfort heating/cooling.
- Specialty piping systems including compressed air, oxygen, various gases (i.e., acetylene, propane, argon), steam and non-potable water
- Plumbing design and layouts
- Fire suppression system design and layouts